Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Littlest Headlee

What a whirlwind of a day!!! I was woken up this morning at 8:40 by Eddie who had heard my cell phone go off. It was a text message from Sarah letting me know that she was headed to the hospital to get checked out because she had been having contractions since one that morning. I immediately lept out of bed thinking this is it!!! I got ready while Eddie called him Mom to have her come pick up Grace so that we could both be at the hospital. Within the hour I got a phone call from Sarah informing me that she was indeed in labor! She was already dilated to a 6/7 and the anesthesiologist was on his way to administer the epidural! Oh my God, I could not believe it!! I was so proud of her for making it as far as she did at home, she is a rock star!!! I jumped in the car and made it to the hospital in eight minutes and waited for her to be ready for visitors. About twenty minutes passed and Jessica arrived followed shortly after that by Jake's Sister Nikki. Talk about three excited girls!! Jake came out a few moments later and took Jessica back to see Sarah. Fountain Valley has VERY strict rules about the number of people allowed in a labor and postpartum room so we had to take turns going back to see her. Jake came back out shortly after to sit with his Sister so that Sarah's two best friends could spend some time with her. When I walked in the room I had a ton of emotions run through me. I was so excited, happy and scared!! Sarah is about to give birth to this little girl that we have all been waiting forever to meet. She was so thrilled and nervous about what she was going to be going through in the next few hours. It was all kind of surreal. She was passed her due date, but it was still kind of a shocker for all of us. I had brought my makeup with me, just in case she was going to be without hers since she was really thinking that they were going to send her home. Most people would say who cares about that, but there was time to kill and I knew that she would look back at her pictures and be disappointed if she hadn't done it.
Soon to be Mommy looking beautiful!
Spending time with Sam before Jilly comes!
Parents to be!
While I was in there she called her Dad to let him know that she was admitted and he got really frantic but told her that he would be on his way. When she got off the phone she did this frantic "oh my god, oh my god" and it scared the crap out of me because I thought that she was in pain. I instantly went to tears and the memory of being in labor came back to me until I realized that she was just imitating her Dad!! We got a good laugh out of it! We talked for a few minutes and I headed back to the waiting room so that Nikki could go visit. Something that I was very concerned with was she hadn't been able to get a hold of her Sister Shannon. We had all tried calling and texting her but no one was getting a response and so I was getting ready to call and see if she was at work when someone had finally gotten a hold of her and she was on her way!! THANK GOD!!! I know that she would have been absolutely devastated if she had missed this experience!! We had our own little side of the waiting room and by noon we had taken it over and now all there was to do was wait. The day did seem to go by fast though since there were friends there to talk with. The one thing that did suck was there was this high pitched alarm that went off for hours and I mean hours!! But we pushed through it with lots of laughs and conversation.
Waiting anxiously!
Me & Auntie Shan & Grandpa in the background
Oh the boys!!
Over the course of the day and the number of people that came down to the hospital I didn't get a chance to get back in to see her, but she kept in touch through text to let me know how she was doing. Once everyone had been in to see her Jessica headed back to help Jake coach Sarah and to keep us in the loop of what was going on. A few hours had passed and just before three she was fully dilated and started to push! Through out the next hour Jessica kept us up to date with her progress really well. Then at 3:55 we got a text from Jake that Jillian had arrived! The room erupted with cheers and tears while we waited for Jake to come out and make his announcement! He choked up right as he walked through the doors. It was the sweetest thing ever!! Jillian was born at 3:47, weighing in at 7 pounds 4 ounces and 20.5 inches long with a full head of dark brown hair!!
Proud Daddy!!
He passed around the camera so that we could get a quick look at the first pictures of Jill. When he headed back in to spend some quality time with his family Jessica came out and balled while she shared her experience with us. I think its something with those doors that turn on the tears. She was so cute and had captured the best pictures during her birth and did nothing but praise what an amazing job Sarah had done. I ducked into the bathroom for a few minutes alone and sobbed. The overwhelming sensation of what had just happened got to me and I was so happy. Sarah let me know that the baby had been taken to the nursery for observation and to be cleaned up. When I announced this her Dad jumped up and ran out the door. Since Sarah was born at this hospital he knew a secret we didn't. There was a huge window on the outside so that you could view the nursery. On my way out to get my first look at the baby Sarah called me and asked me to help her move her things into her new room. I ran through the doors so excited to give the new Mommy a hug. When I walked in her room I teared up and gave her a hug. I was so proud of her!! We got her moved in the new room and I got to spend a few minutes with her so that we could talk about her experience. Everyone was getting ancy thinking that I was sitting in there with the baby and not letting anyone in so I made my way back out into the waiting room to wait for my turn to meet the baby. Once family had spent their time with their newest member Eddie and I made our way back to see her!!! She was beautiful!!! So tiny!!
Meet Jillian Carey Headlee
The Headlee Family
Mommy & her Miracle
Meeting Jilly!
I love these girls!!
I swear anytime I see a new baby I always think to myself was Grace ever this small?!?! Jilly was so sweet and cuddly and had her eyes wide open! We spent some time with her and got some pictures then wanted to leave them to spend time alone. It was almost nine and they had all had a long day and tomorrow was going to be just as long and I knew that I was going to get to see her tomorrow!
Sam, you are one of the strongest women I know! You did such an amazing job today and look at the beautiful little Angel you have to show for it. She is perfect! I am so thankful that I get to be apart of this special time in your life. Motherhood is challenging but such a gift that can be replaced by nothing else. You are going to be such an incredible Mother!! I llllloooooovvvvveeee yyyyooooouuuuu and congratulations to you and Jake for welcoming your sweet baby into this world! Happy Birthday Jillian!!!

1 comment:

  1. OMG I'm crying. Thank you for writing this blog. It allowed me re-live the most precious day of my life and made my heart just soar. I love my little girl so much it's amazing. I love you my Moon! I'm sorry my hospital was so psyhco strict on visitors but happy that I had so many fans in the waiting room cheering me on. It meant the world to me.

    ReplyDelete