Sunday, May 17, 2009

Family Camping Trip

*O'Neill Park 2009*
Over the weekend Jake and Sarah had their nephew and decided that the best way to entertain him with something fun over night was to go camping. He had never been before and obviously neither had Grace and so we thought that we would tag along for the experience. We are going camping at the end of June so we thought that we would get a head start and purchase some of the things that we would need for that trip and try them out. I had been sick all week so it was a last minute decision for us to go, but I am so happy that we did. Friday morning Sarah called the camp site that we had found and wanted to go to to book the site, unfortunately they require forty eight hours notice in order to reserve a site otherwise it is a first come, first serve. We had to get up early Saturday morning to call and see if there were any sites available and we were in luck that there were a few spots left. We drove out to O'Neill Park and were given a list of available spots to drive through and find which one that we wanted. After we finally picked one the boys dropped us off and went up to the front to pay. By the time they got there someone else had already driven in and paid for that spot!! We couldn't believe it!! We walked around to look at the remaining spots and Sarah found site #1 and it was perfect! We had missed it driving in because we couldn't figure out where the sites were numbered at. Thankfully we got it! There was so much shade, it was a corner lot, it was close to the restroom, and shaped perfectly for us to have two tents and all of our stuff set up. Between the four adults, a five year old, a baby, and a dog we had a ton of stuff!!! Once the boys got the cars unpacked and the tents pitched it was time for lunch.
*Exploring the tent*
I would have to say that the biggest problem that I have with camping is the food. I am not a hot dog or sandwich type of girl so shopping for camping was a stressful thing for me. Although I did eat everything you normally should our next camping trip we will have to get a mini grill to be able to cook things on. Once lunch was over we hung out and the boys played catch and then it was time to go on a hike.
*Sam trying to get Grace to relax to go on a hike*
Sadly enough Grace was tired and cranky and in need of a nap so her and I stayed behind to rest.
*Getting ready for our nap*
*Napping with Daddy*
When they got back we played a few games and just kicked back and relaxed. It was so nice to be outside, the weather couldn't have been any better.
*First camping trip since 2002*
*Playing Games*
When it was time to light the camp fire, Sarah jumped right in because she loves to play with fire. I must say though our fire was pretty big all night long thanks to her!
*Keeping warm by the fire*
Eddie warmed up so chili to go with his hot dogs and Sarah helped me and Orion make the perfect hot dog! She has some real talent for roasting hot dogs!
We sat around the campfire and visited and Grace did so well. She loved sitting by it and just watching it.
*Playing with Moosie*
*Sitting around the fire*
*One of the girls*
*Finally a picture of the three of them*
*Cuddling by the fire*
Then it was time for dessert!! Smores!!!!!!!! I do not care for marshmallows either, but I LOVE smores!!! When the kids went to bed we played a few games and Rummikub and called it a night around midnight. Sleeping in the tent was fun, but sleeping in a sleeping bag is hard for me because I get hot and claustrophobic. Of course Grace woke up a few times throughout the night and then woke up and started crawling around the tent around five!! Luckily she crawled to me and I pulled her into my sleeping bag and she fell back to sleep within an hour. I was in heaven! Those of you who know my child, she is not one for cuddling but I was so happy that she relaxed and went back to sleep with me.
*My Cuddle Bug*
Of course when your camping when the sun comes up you get up early. My rock star husband took care of the baby when she woke up around 8 so that I could sleep a little longer since I was up with her throughout the night. We had to be off the site by noon so there really wasn't much point in sitting around waiting to pack everything up. After breakfast we really just packed up and hit the road. I had such a great time!! It was another first for Grace which is something I love to do, and honestly as much as I am not a camping/outdoors person I really did enjoy myself and I know that Grace did too!! Thank you Jake and Sarah for letting us tag along on your camping trip! I can't wait to do it again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment